If you are having trouble logging into the forum, please clear the cache on your browser. You can do so on this page, towards the bottom click on "Delete all Board Cookies" or clear it within your browser. If that doesn't resolve the problem, email us @  njja@njjeep.org  so we can help you out!

Jeep Battery thieves

General Club Information for the Public
prescott
Historian

Jeep Battery thieves

Post by prescott » July 26th, 2017, 1:55 pm

There was a news report on TV this morning that there have been some battery thefts out of
Wranglers. We all are aware of how easy it is to get into the engine compartments of our Wranglers.
About a year ago I put a new lock on my hood, a lock call the BLOT that can be programmed to take your ignition key.
These thefts have been taking place in the Philly area, so beware. :pirateflag: :pirateflag:
'08 Rubicon Unlimited, Genisis double battery, Paramount bumper with halogen lights, Cold air filter, 10,000 lb Smittybuilt winch with synthetic rope, MT's Degan 38s 33 inches.
3 inch lift and muffler system coming next.
jobrien
BLUE TRAIL RIDER

Re: Jeep Battery thieves

Post by jobrien » July 26th, 2017, 10:25 pm

I had put a Mopar self keying lock on ,my JK. Worked for about a year and then I couldn't get the hood open. Had to take it to a locksmith to get it open. He said from the driving vibration, the pins can move and then you can't open it. Left the lock in place as a deterrent. Maybe it worked.
'08 Silver 4 door X SOLD
Between Jeeps right now
DasJeep
MOONBOUNCER

Post by DasJeep » July 27th, 2017, 4:18 am

For those of us who have been on fire and needed every available second to get the fire extinguisher out and the hood open I say find one that you can leave unlocked when you are wheeling. If I had to grab the keys and get the hood open Tar Hollow might look a whole lot different today.
#takemybatreryitweighstoomuchforthetrail
"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864
prescott
Historian

Post by prescott » July 27th, 2017, 7:46 am

With my lock you can unlock if you are going wheeling. Than you just use the rubber hold downs.
Again just be aware of where you are and what you have stashed in your Jeep. I try to remember to unload my Jeep of anything of value tool wise after I get home from any ride. Jeeps are very vulnerable, at the next meeting ask and I'll show you what I do to keep things out of sight, secured and locked in the back.
'08 Rubicon Unlimited, Genisis double battery, Paramount bumper with halogen lights, Cold air filter, 10,000 lb Smittybuilt winch with synthetic rope, MT's Degan 38s 33 inches.
ryco1
BLUE TRAIL RIDER

Post by ryco1 » July 29th, 2017, 3:54 am

I agree with the fire thing.. if I had to fiddle for a couple more seconds more fun shit would have been on fire. Went through an entire extinguisher and had to stop people on rt73 for water bottles. With that said, I'll likely be the next victim of battery theft... :camping3:
Ryan

*|||||||* Just Empty Every Pocket
prescott
Historian

Post by prescott » July 29th, 2017, 6:01 am

All a matter of your preference. But when's ya got 2 $400 batteries in there and you drive a lot to malls, restaurants etc. you worry a bit.
But I understand the other train of thought. What's a couple of hundred of bucks compared to the whole price of maybe 20 to30 thousand or more.
I guess I'm just a bit more paranoid than most people. That's why I have the house alarmed and I'm having a generator for the house installed.
Since I moved to a more urban area my paranoia has increased a bit.