If you are having trouble logging into the forum, please clear the cache on your browser. You can do so on this page, towards the bottom click on "Delete all Board Cookies" or clear it within your browser. If that doesn't resolve the problem, email us @  njja@njjeep.org  so we can help you out!

Raceway Park shuts down racing operations

General Club Information for the Public
1HUNTS69
GREEN TRAIL RIDER

Post by 1HUNTS69 » January 17th, 2018, 7:05 am

Posted on January 17, 2018 2:31 am EST

By Anthony Caruso III | Publisher

RIP Old Bridge Township Raceway Park. The Englishtown, New Jersey has officially closed its drag racing operations, as of Tuesday night.

The historic track informed its employees on Tuesday night that the track will not have racing in 2018. We are saddened to report that this is the case, as we were informed by one of the employees that this did happen, as they are now unemployed.

Old Bridge Township Raceway Park starting lineOld Bridge Township Raceway Park starting line
Old Bridge Township Raceway Park was founded by Vincent Napoliello and Louis Napoliello in 1965. After the father’s passing, the three sons took over the facility. David, Alex, and Michael Napp — they shortened their last name to Napp when they came to the United States — were owners of the track.

Michael and Alex were the owners of the track last year. David had little to do with the track, as he dealt with some issues in his life.

The sports complex, which also had a Jr. Dragster track, motocross, and a drifting facility, was mainly famous for the NHRA Summernationals. This past year, they held their 48th annual NHRA Summernationals — which was previously known as the NHRA SuperNationals.

It was one of the longest-running events on the NHRA calendar each year. They were tied with the Amalie Motor Oil NHRA Gatornationals in Gainesville, Florida with their 48th annual event in 2017.

Only the Chevrolet Performance U.S. Nationals (63rd annual in 2017), Circle K NHRA Nationals (57th annual) and the Auto Club NHRA Finals (53rd annual) were around longer.

Raceway Park was one of the NHRA’s original seven national events. It is steeped in history, as many of the sports historic moments happened at the facility.

Throughout the years, the Summernationals has moved from July to June. The facility has also been known to have a lot of upsets.

The NHRA’s most famous driver John Force, who recently became an honorary doctor, has not won at the track since 1999 when he defeated Cruz Pedregon. He has not appeared in the final round at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park since 2004 when he lost to Gary Densham.

Steve Torrence won the Top Fuel category at last year’s event. Jack Beckman picked up his first win of the season last season, as he defeated Ron Capps in the Funny Car final round.

Greg Anderson, who had an eventful weekend, as his son graduated from high school, then missed Saturday qualifying, as he traveled back from North Carolina, before winning the event in Pro Stock on Sunday. Jerry Savoie also won Pro Stock Motorcycle.

It was also Vincent Napoliello, who also started the Jr. Dragster revolution by making a dragster for his son David. At the 2017 Summernationals, the NHRA honored the 25-year history of the Jr. Dragster program.

While the track has had special moments, it will also be remembered as the place that former DHL Funny Car driver Scott Kalitta lost his life during NHRA Supernationals qualifying in 2008.

Old Bridge Township Raceway Park will now be a storage area for Copart, an online vehicle auction, and services company, based in Dallas, Texas. They have three auctions throughout New Jersey right now.

According to their website, they have auctions in Glassboro East, Somerville, and Trenton. We have been informed that the track has a long-term agreement for auto storage for cars for Copart.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
jeremy_tamara
WEBMASTER

Re: Raceway Park shuts down racing operations

Post by jeremy_tamara » January 17th, 2018, 7:33 am

-tamara

scohen2002
GREEN TRAIL RIDER

Post by scohen2002 » January 17th, 2018, 10:34 pm

I guess it’s obvious, This kills all hope of us having an event there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
SummerWind
Membership Coordinator

Post by SummerWind » January 18th, 2018, 10:09 pm

Not necessarily. We weren't going to be using the race track. Although I have started scouting other places the events coordinator keeps telling me we might still be able to do it there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DasJeep
MOONBOUNCER

Post by DasJeep » January 19th, 2018, 9:15 pm

According to everything I’ve read it looks like they will be doing all the other events at least for now. It’s hard to get a straight answer on exactly what the future holds for the place but it’s Not closed. At least not yet.
"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864
prescott
Historian

Post by prescott » January 19th, 2018, 11:19 pm

It's not over till the we get the final word
I'm sure Summerwind is on top of this.
We just have to give it a little bit more time.
Don't be to fast to condemn it.
'08 Rubicon Unlimited, Genisis double battery, Paramount bumper with halogen lights, Cold air filter, 10,000 lb Smittybuilt winch with synthetic rope, MT's Degan 38s 33 inches.
3 inch lift and muffler system coming next.
tinman
LUG NUT

Post by tinman » January 22nd, 2018, 9:21 am

I am running several OCR's (obstacle course races/mud runs) at the track this year. As of now I have not been informed that the races will not take place, so it seems that, yes, the track will still be in operation for certain events going forward.

The course for my events usually consist of the back woods area and the motocross field.
Hopefully this last area is something we can use if we go forward with an event.